Tuesday, March 18, 2008

First Post

Urgh the first post. I hate the first post. I’m always confused with what I should write as this is supposed to be the clincher you know, just like how you started your first day of school or job and you try your best to impress your new peers. I always have the extra nervousness and sinking feeling that no matter how hard I try, it’s going to backfire. This reminds me of my earlier days working as an intern in an advertising agency in Amsterdam. I was waiting for my graduation and I decided that I needed more work experience. I have dabbled before in the media industry (I used to work as a radio presenter as well as a freelance writer for the Indonesian section of Radio Netherlands) but hey, advertising also seemed to be just as if even more interesting so I applied for a summer internship and got accepted. Hurray!

The internship was a bit daunting at first. I have no previous experience in advertising and sometimes I feel pretty ditzy however everything works out quite nicely. I enjoyed my time; I had my ups and downs with the rest of the team, furthermore I am learning a lot! It appears that they like me too since after only several months they offered me a full time position as an assistant researcher (cue me doing my little jiggy dance). As a burgeoning new member of the advertising industry, I am still unsure with which way I should go. So when I was given the trend-watching project, I snatched it with both hands. I believe that this could be my thing, something that I can love working on. As a newbie, I do lack the experience but that is why I’m still in training and I have this blog to chronicle my journey from an intern to a fully-fledged trend watcher.

No comments: